Sunday, April 3, 2005
Sygan SNPJ, Bridgeville, PA
The last snow storm of the 2004/2005 winter season hit that Sunday morning, dropping anywhere from a trace to 4 inches of snow by morning locally in the Pittsburgh area! However, by 1 PM, the snow gave way to partly cloudy skies and eventually sunshine and 45 degrees to melt whatever snow had fallen. The music started off promptly at 2 PM at the beautiful Sygan SNPJ hall in Bridgeville with the Frank Moravcik Band of Cleveland, Ohio. Joining Frank were Dan Peters on accordion & Lou Tofil on guitar.
At 3:30 PM, the Karl Lukitsch Band took the stage with more outstanding continuous music until 5 PM. Joining Karl were special guest Bob Zolka on accordion/keyboard, Ron Groholski on sax, Don Lavrich on bass, Frank Puskar on banjo/guitar and John Yukovich on drums.
Next, it was the button box music of Frank & Darryl Valencic with Bobby Zgonc, Skip Tomecsko, Gary Pernisek & Bert Klements who rolled with an outstanding set until 5:30 PM.
The Frank Moravcik Band then returned with guest drummer Jack Tady sitting in. At 6:45, the band ended their finale set with many people in front of the stage. Door prizes were given away including many items that were donated by special friends in attendance. The Sygan club's 50/50 drawing was $219 to the lucky winner.
Featured on stage now were special guests Carole Zagar, Tim Kitzman, Bruce Hayward, Mike Grkman & Jerry Zagar doing another great set of button box music. Finishing out the night was the Karl Lukitsch Band to the delight of the great portion of the crowd who remained to the end at 8 PM.
Special thanks to the following people who, without their consistent help & support, would not have made our radio benefit dance go as smoothly or as successful as it did:
- The Frank Moravcik & Karl Lukitsch bands for providing the musical entertainment.
- The performers who donated their time & talents: Frank & Darryl Valencic, Bobby Zgonc, Skip Tomecsko, Gary Pernisek, Carole Zagar, Tim Kitzman, Bruce Hayward, Mike Grkman & Bert Klements
- Jerry Zagar Sr. - handled the door admissions all day
- Steve Pucker & Bob Zagar - helped at the door with admission tickets
- The officers & members of Sygan SNPJ Lodge #6 for the use of the hall
- Tony & Amy, the bartenders, Pearl & Toni, the waitresses, and the kitchen staff
- The polka DJs who helped promote the event, especially those in attendance including Marko Polka, Sam Pugliano (both from KHB), Jack Tady from WEDO and former WWCS polka DJ Gil Yurus
- Those who donated door prizes including Dick Tady, Gloria Jean DiFabio, Jack Tady & Fred Gregorich.
- Those that gave donations above & beyond the regular admission price including Grandma Grace Feals, Bob & Sophie Zagar, Steve & Marge Pucker, Bob Zgonc, Carl & Rowena Partyka, Annie Belle, Marge Schorr, Vence Kokal, Mike & Karen Ricci, The Grkmans, Dan & Nancy Tomasovich, Bernie & Maria Orient, Chis & Dan Simonik, Carole & Jerry Zagar, Gil & Mary Ann Yurus, Dorothy & John "6-pack" Preisner, Dennis Mirt & Donna Finely, Skip Nocco plus several anonymous donations.
and VERY SPECIAL THANKS to all of you, the listeners & supporters of our radio show who were in attendance. Without you & your support, it would be impossible for us to do what we do!